CrossFit is not just a young people’s game. Yes, it involves lifting, running, jumping and other assorted torments, but at a level that is scalable to allcomers. With safe training practices and smart trainers, I’d almost vouch that CrossFit confers more benefit to older clients!
The Benefits for the 50+ Club
- Functional movement training: Squats, deadlifts, presses, push ups and pullups (to name a few) are real life movements that we strive to perfect in the gym. Training these movements makes life easier and healthier.
- Strength: Strengthening big movements using a lot of different muscles gives you bang for your buck. Strength is one of the key indicators of quality of life in advancing age.
- Conditioning: Regular CrossFit workouts will lead to better aerobic and anaerobic capacity. You’ll be able to commit to a higher intensity training level (again making the rest of life feel pretty easy!).
- Health: Blood pressure, cholesterol, body weight and body fat percentage all decrease with consistent practice and a good diet (another big focus of CrossFit). Joint and bone health is improved, and risks such as falling are mitigated.
- Scalability: CrossFit is scalable. From using bands on body weight exercises to broomsticks for strength work, each and every workout can be adapted to your needs.
- Independence: Combining all the above factors gives you independence. No medications, no walking sticks and no worries!
If you haven’t already tried CrossFit out, give it a go!