It’s a satisfying feeling to be part of a team that has such a positive impact on people’s lives. I graduated from Health and Sports Science in 2004 as an Exercise Physiologist. It’s my job at Ignite to do whatever I can to ensure our clients are using Ignite and getting the great results that everyone wants.
In our quest for better health we often overlook some of the smaller, easier wins and focus our attention on the biggest pieces of the puzzle. Don’t get me wrong, I think it is imperative to address the areas of your approach that will have the biggest impact, however, often we gloss over some simple strategies and easy wins that you can start benefiting from right away with minimal effort or disruption to your current routine.
Check out the following 5 simple strategies, make a change, and celebrate an easy win today!
1) Put your training sessions in your calendar (recurring weekly). This will take less than 5 minutes. Our most consistent clients that are getting the best results, train at the same times every week. If you have a roster and only find out your shifts every month or fortnight, start the habit of entering your sessions into your calendar the day you get your roster.
2) Stay hydrated. This effects appetite regulation, training performance, digestion and energy levels just to name a few things. Start with 30ml of water per kilo of body weight per day. This would equate to 2.1L of water per day for a 70kg person. This is just a start point with more on hot days, and more on training days recommended. Grab your calculator and figure out your daily start point right now. Then you can grab a glass of water and you’re on your way to your first easy win!
3) Get your breakfast organised the night before. Each night before you go to bed, get ‘everything’ you’ll need to make breakfast out of the cupboards and onto your bench / stovetop ready to go for the morning and pre chop any vege’s you may need. When you walk into the kitchen the next morning and see it all sitting there, there’s no way you’re skipping breakfast!
4) Cook in batches. If you’re cooking anyway, why not cook double and keep the leftovers for lunch the next day or another dinner later in the week when you’ve got less time. 20% more work tonight can double or triple the number of healthy, home cooked meals you have at your disposal during the week!
5) Buy an old school alarm clock. You can do it right here for less than $20!! This isn’t so you can pretend you’re Bill Murray in Groundhog Day every morning (though you can do that too). It’s to enable you to leave your mobile device out of your bedroom to help you relax and to help set your hormones up for a great night’s sleep.
As I said in the intro, the biggest most important pieces of the puzzle are critical to tackle, when you’re ready. Our Good to Great program is designed specifically with this in mind. The next one starts on Monday 30th October. You can register your interest by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the mean time try implementing even one of the above easy wins to start looking, feeling and performing better today!